Office de tourisme intercommunal

The origin of the name of Cadolive results from a patronymic transformation: in 1654 appears Mario Olino's name in saint Savournin's church books, written Ollino in 1674. Then, the name is gallicized in Olline in 1680, to become Ollive in 1744. 

Between 1702 and 1766, numerous members of families Ollive lived around current Cadolive. "Enco d' Olive", (of the Provençal preposition " encò ": "at", indicating the "land of Olive") became by contraction " Codolive ".

In the 19th century, by mistake, "Codolive" was transformed into "Cadolive". The coat-armour is a stalk of olive tree surmounted overcome by the slogan "Cado oulivo ven a ben", that is " Every olive succeeds well ".

Cadolive is a typically Provençal village, with shaded squares, on the narrow alleys which wind in the middle of houses surmounted from curved tiles terra-cotta colored by the sun.

To see…

  • The Old wash house: restored in 2007, which reminds to the young people of the village the lifestyle of the first inhabitants of our municipality. This Wash house was fed by a natural source(spring) which originates on the heights of the village.
  • Lime kilns: vestiges of the mineral field: the lime kiln or to chaufour is an oven intended to transform the limestone into lime and where one cooked the ceramic under the effect of the fire(light). Fixed vertical work, in masonry, opened by the top, or horizontal and rotary. The workers who activated it were called " chaufourniers "
  • Mine shafts: located on the borders of the municipality, it's workers carried out the wealth of the mineral field.

More information on the Cadolive website.