Office de tourisme intercommunal

The architectural heritage of Cuges-les-Pins goes back to 1509.

The clock tower

Built in 1824, it replaces the one of the 17th century which was built over the Town Hall because the population requested to have the official hour. It was destroyed in 1811 because it threatened houses and could'nt ring more than 19 stroke!

Fountains and oratories

On the Place de la Libération is the mossy fountain. The first fountain leaked and caused patches of black ice during winter in all bottom of the street. The fountain current date back to the 1830s. By approaching closer, we can see the "heads" of lions.

The castle of the Glandevès

Nowadays it's a private property. When in 1509 it was decided to move the village, it was also necessary to move the castle. The current castle belonged to the Lords of Cuges, the Glandevès. 

On March 11th, 1509: the inhabitants are authorized by Lord Antoine of Glandevès to settle down near its fertile lands, around the new castle. All the materials from the former housing are then taken back. 16th century: the heart of the village reconstructed around the castle of Glandevès, situation which remained the same until our days although the village developped farther in the plain.

The church

The first church of Cuges-Les-Pins was built in 1509, to its right we build in 1615 a chapel which will be the family vault of Glandevès.

Considered impractical and unsightly the first church is destroyed then reconstructed in 1869.

Inside the church, a fragment of saint Antoine's relic is carefully preserved. 

Threshing floor

An area rehabilitated with an exceptional sight in a place steeped in history.
This area paved by stones, facing the sun and permanently crossed by light drafts, allowed to beat the grain to separate it from the ear.

The Saint Antoine chapel

Overhanging the village, it was built in 1896, at the location of the former castle's chapel, by the famous architect from Marseille MONNIER. 

The way up to the chapel and the sight on the plain will "take your breath away". 
It bears the name of the holy protector and every June 13th, since seven centuries, saint Antoine de Padoue's traditional pilgrimage continues.

Hiking

The municipality rehabilitated the Jas de Frédéric into a refuge on the GR 98, trail that can be followed from the Col de l'ange and the vallon de Sainte Madeleine. Numerous hikes in Sainte Baume are accessible from these two sites.

The economic activity 

The culture of saffron (on "restanques") during the XIVth and XVth century, the culture of capres, during the XIXth and XXth century, give world fame to this small village.
The extraction of pitch from the XVIth to the XXth century is also an important activity because it becomes the main revenue stream during the XVIth century.
Let's not forget sericulture (silk) during the XVIIIth century, cades (an oven with cades in ruine still exists between the vallon de la Madeleine (valley of Madeleine)and that of Dauceran and an other on the north of the Jas de Frédéric) and the rosemary during the XVIIIth century.

To learn more about the history of Cuges-les-Pins, contact the association Cugistoria :

E-mail : cugistoria@wanadoo.fr or check their website "Cugistoria" or the website of the village : Cuges-Les-Pins.